Front End Web Developer
Birds in the Hand, work location flexible
About Birds in the Hand
Birds in the Hand is a leader in the nature app space for iOS and Android platforms. Our app portfolio includes BirdsEye, BirdLog (now eBird Mobile), Merlin Bird ID, Daily Bird, and BirdsEye Hotspots. We are a small, dedicated group of scientists and naturalists passionate about technologies that support citizen science. We are expanding into new citizen science projects that will require additional apps, and building out websites to capture and communicate data for these projects. We looking for a part-time web developer who can create a great site from scratch and is also passionate about citizen science. The work location and hours are quite flexible.
- Strong WordPress, PHP, SQL development skills
- Experience working with/building custom databases
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact and communicate professionally with all levels of staff and management
- Able to work independently in an efficient manner
- Develop new websites that allow users to report sightings for different flora and fauna through the use of maps and manual entry of location information.
- Capture information in existing and to-be-developed databases.
- Provide user friendly, robust, and visually appealing front ends using WordPress and other CMS
- Perform maintenance and implement new features for the various websites
- Work with our team to identify problems and correct issues
- Create time estimates for projects assigned to you
- Implement and document features that support both basic and power users
- Work independently and with little supervision. Some interactions with other development, marketing and operations team members
- Develop and optimize front-end UI functionality to ensure web applications are rendered consistently and efficiently in cross-browser environment
- Follow industry trends with regard to front-end technologies and techniques
- Experience building excellent, consumer web application interfaces
- Strong command of web standards, CSS-based design, cross-browser compatibility
- A passion for good documentation and code standards
- Quick learner with a drive to learn more
- Great organizational skills, and an attention to detail, consistency, and simplicity
- Logical team-player, with excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively on multiple projects under a tight schedule
- Strong understanding and experience using WordPress and other content management systems.
- Strong understanding of SQL including the MySQL and MS SQL flavors
- Experience with PHP a plus
- Love and interest of nature a plus and probably required in order to be happy with the relative low pay of the position.
- Experience with libraries (such as jQuery or Prototype)
- Experience with CSS frameworks (such as LESS or Sass)
This is a part time position at a relatively low wage that will provide immense satisfaction and great flexibility. There are no medical/dental benefits, PTO, 401k or paid holidays.
Birds in the Hand is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org